1/17/2007

Is it possible for a child to survive on actually no vegetables at all? M.M. is now refusing to eat peas! I don't know what to do with someone who won't even touch the most benign, inoffensive vegetable ever. Malnutrition is around the corner, I fear. We went to the pediatrician yesterday for her (belated) 3 year old checkup (now called a 'well child visit' for some inscrutably euphemistic reason) and the nurse asked if she at a balanced diet, "meat, vegetables, and all". I kind of choked on my answer, because obviously I wasn't going to say no, but it was a little bit not true. The only saving grace is soup. She will consent once in a while to eating some soup, and even if she avoids actually putting anything vegetable-like in her mouth, I take comfort in the idea that the nutrients from the vegetables have been infused into the broth. Don't tell me it's not true. I like my little fantasy and being disabused won't help anything.

I still haven't gotten any pictures of the finished mittens, and I'd better get to it before they get lost or mangled or rubbed in the mud. I'm nearly done with the first of the new, striped mittens, cast on on the spur of the moment for my cousin. They're looking nice, I'm using a heathered light blue Cascade 220 in narrow, one-row stripes, and the same purply bluey greeny Miss Priss from the previous mittens in slightly wider, 2 row stripes. They remind me just slightly of those 1970s striped polo shirts, but not too much. I think I like them.

Still haven't gotten back to my sock. Don't know why. Mitten fever, I guess, and some psychological pathology about not knitting for myself, I'm sure. One of these days I'll get to them.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, I saw your comment on Rose-Kim Knits about how no one reads your blog, so I read your blog.

I had a son who wouldn't eat anything except hot dogs, bagels and cereal. My pediatrician kept saying,"put a selection of foods out, and eventually he will choose to eat a wider variety." Well, he didn't know my son. I had to actually put things in his mouth at the age of 9 because he still was eating only hot dogs, bagels and cereal, and he was so thin his skin stretched over his bones. Now, he likes a wider variety of foods, but vegetables are low on the list. He will eat salad without dressing, however.

Good luck with your little one. It's so scary when they won't eat. It's like they're rejecting your love.

Paula

lookinout said...

Try reading the books by Ellen Satter RD. She may well have suggestions which suit you.

Try puréeing the soup with the vegetables in it. Add enough broth to get a texture she will eat. I'd avoid puréed peas since the colour can be off-putting. Try a bean and tomato soup which will give protein and veg. Again, extra broth can thin it, and maybe she can drink it.

Better to let the nurse/doctor know that you're having feeding problems. Maybe they can help.

The sooner you can have her handling food and helping you even if she makes a mess. She will taste things because they'll be on her hands. She can start to carry things to the table like napkins, plastic plates and glasses etc.

Another good author for family meals is Sandi Richard. http://www.cookingfortherushed.com/ She's got a good approach to the whole question, and has a new book out this month. You'll see on her website.
Gillian

Heather said...

I was going to suggest pureeing a few veggies, just to sneak them in.

Tomato soup? Or a soup with a tomato base?