2/01/2006

Updates Galore

Meanwhile, I've got one and a half legwarmers done. No photography as yet. The completed one is not quite as long as I'd have liked – it covers the length of M.M.'s lower leg, but with no room for scrunchiness. I was worried about running out of yarn, so I didn't dare make it longer. Of course, I will probably still run out of yarn, which will mean I'll have to get more, which will mean I could make them both very, very long, but I'm taking that risk. I need to learn how to do a stretchier castoff, because what I did barely squeezes over the little foot. I'll do the next one more loosely unless I learn a new technique before then. I probably won't want to make them asymmetrical though, so I'm not going out of my way to learn it.

In other news, I swatched the llama yarn I got for Christmas, hoping to make a hat out of it, but it's too thin for the one I was thinking of. I should say I started to swatch because I only had to do a couple of rows to see that it wasn't even going to be close. A more experienced yarn maven would have known this automatically. Now I'm debating whether to find a different pattern or get different yarn. Probably different yarn, as now I'm thinking of doing fingerless gloves with the llama.

The Anna update: I got new needles – expensive, shorter, less bendy needles, and I have cast on and done about 4 rounds of the new try. I'm going to learn from my repeated mistakes and run a dental floss lifeline through it so I at least won't have to cast on again if I have another disaster. The silver lining in all this is that I am getting faster and better at this pattern. It's all part of my evolution as a knitter.

Finally, I'm beginning to anticipate the Knitting Olympics. I'm sorry I don't have tv and won't be able to watch the sports Olympics while I knit, because it would really be a lovely combination of activities. I know that I need another set of needles before Feb. 16, and I'm getting nagging feelings about winding the yarn and swatching. But who am I kidding? There is no chance I'm going to swatch. It's socks, I don't need to swatch and there's no chance in hell I'm going to get to it in time. There's also no chance in hell I'm going to finish them in 16 days…

…Wait, wait just a minute here. 16 days. It's 16 days long. That means it probably doesn't start on the 16th. Uh oh. I just checked Stephanie's official Knitting Olympics page and damned if it doesn't start on the 10th. Oops, that's 9 days from now. Nope, no chance in hell of a swatch.

Now if only I could figure out how to put a dang button on my blogger template. I've got no idea, and apparently it's one of those things that if you can't figure it out you're too stupid to blog, so I'm out of luck. Imagine it to your left, please. The sock team.

No comments: